Hi folk.

My self and a colleague have both (independently) been trying the Apache Drill
in 10 Minutes tutorial, and have both failed to get Apache Drill to work.

We both experience the same symptoms.  These are:

1.       when running a test query the "No current connection" message is
returned

2.       unable to connect to the Web Console (using any one of : localhost;
fully qualified machine name; ip address)

3.       when issuing the !quit command an exception is thrown

We are using Windows 7 work stations with JDK/JRE 1.8.0_171

Our JAVA_HOME points to the correct version of the JDK, and the path to the
Java\jdk1.8.0_171\bin is in the PATH environment variable.  To make sure that
Windows picked up the environment variable changes we rebooted.

I've attached the sqlline.log (sensitive data masked by XXXXXXXX), and the
console output is below.

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Dave.

Command line output

C:\Program Files\Apache Drill\apache-drill-1.13.0\bin>sqlline.bat -u
"jdbc:drill:zk=local"
DRILL_ARGS - " -u jdbc:drill:zk=local"
HADOOP_HOME not detected...
HBASE_HOME not detected...
Calculating Drill classpath...
java.lang.NullPointerException
apache drill 1.13.0
"a little sql for your nosql"
0: jdbc:drill:zk=local> select version from sys.version;
No current connection
0: jdbc:drill:zk=local> !quit
java.lang.NullPointerException
        at
org.apache.drill.exec.coord.local.LocalClusterCoordinator.update(LocalClusterCoordinator.java:98)
        at org.apache.drill.exec.server.Drillbit.close(Drillbit.java:228)
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillConnectionImpl.cleanup(DrillConnectionImpl.java:827)
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillConnectionImpl.<init>(DrillConnectionImpl.java:186)
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillJdbc41Factory.newDrillConnection(DrillJdbc41Factory.java:73)
        at
org.apache.drill.jdbc.impl.DrillFactory.newConnection(DrillFactory.java:69)
        at
org.apache.calcite.avatica.UnregisteredDriver.connect(UnregisteredDriver.java:138)
        at org.apache.drill.jdbc.Driver.connect(Driver.java:72)
        at sqlline.DatabaseConnection.connect(DatabaseConnection.java:168)
        at sqlline.DatabaseConnection.getConnection(DatabaseConnection.java:214)
        at sqlline.Commands.close(Commands.java:925)
        at sqlline.Commands.quit(Commands.java:889)
        at
        at
        at
sqlline.ReflectiveCommandHandler.execute(ReflectiveCommandHandler.java:36)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.dispatch(SqlLine.java:742)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.begin(SqlLine.java:621)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.start(SqlLine.java:375)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.main(SqlLine.java:268)
[...]
        at sqlline.Commands.closeall(Commands.java:899)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.begin(SqlLine.java:649)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.start(SqlLine.java:375)
        at sqlline.SqlLine.main(SqlLine.java:268)

Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited is registered in England (registered
number 01487359). The registered office is at 5 King William Street, London
EC4N 7AX. The company is authorised and regulated by The Financial Conduct
Authority and is a member of the London Stock Exchange.

The information contained in this E-Mail is confidential unless the sender has
specifically stated otherwise. If you are not the intended recipient please
notify Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited at the sender's address and delete
it immediately. Communications sent by or to any person through our computer
systems may be viewed by other personnel and agents of Daiwa Capital Markets
Europe Limited . The sender does not intend by sending this message to form a
contract with the recipient, and Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited, its
affiliates and staff do not accept any liability for the contents of this
message.

The information contained herein has been obtained from sources we believe to
be reliable but we do not represent that it is accurate or complete, and
therefore, Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited, its affiliates and staff
cannot be held  responsible or liable for the contents of this message. The
foregoing is not an offer or solicitation to buy or sell any security,
instrument or investment. In addition Daiwa Capital Markets Europe Limited, or
any affiliated company, may have an interest, position, or effect transactions,
in any investment mentioned herein. Any opinions or recommendations expressed
herein are solely those of the author or analyst.

Where you have received a communication from Daiwa Capital Markets Europe
Limited this may include information which constitutes an investment
recommendation as defined by the European Market Abuse Regulation (MAR). In
this context, please see for important regulatory information in this regard:
http://www.uk.daiwacm.com/7131.aspx. If you have any questions in relation to
MAR and its impact on your relationship with Daiwa Capital Markets Europe
Limited please let your salesperson know.