Hi all,

Currently Drill we treat storage plugin names and workspaces as
case-sensitive [1].
Names for storage plugins and workspaces are defined by the user. So we
allow to create plugin -> DFS and dfs, workspace -> tmp and TMP.
I have a suggestion to move to case insensitive approach and won't allow
creating two plugins / workspaces with the same name in different case at
least for the following reasons:
1. usually rdbms schema and table names are case insensitive and many users
are used to this approach;
2. in Drill we have INFORMATION_SCHEMA schema which is in upper case, sys
in lower case.
personally I find it's extremely inconvenient.

Also we should consider making table names case insensitive for system
schemas (info, sys).

Any thoughts?

[1] https://drill.apache.org/docs/lexical-structure/

Kind regards,