In case of DRILL-6607 the issue lies in the implementation of "string_binary" function: it is not prepared to handle incoming data that when converted to a binary string would exceed 256 bytes as it does not reallocate the output buffer. Until the function code is fixed, the only way to avoid the error is either not to use "string_binary" or to use it with the data that meets "string_binary" limitation.

Thank you,

Vlad