If other queries are acceptable, you can use something similar to:
0: jdbc:drill:> select sum(`ROWS`) `TOTAL_NUMBER` from (select count(*) as
`ROWS` from cp.`tpch/nation.parquet` union all select count(*) as `ROWS`
from cp.`tpch/region.parquet`);
| TOTAL_NUMBER  |
|              30              |
1 row selected (0.324 seconds)