Hi,

I dug deeply into Java source code, and it comes down to a native call to
getByHostAddr, for which I only found C implementations for Windows and
Solaris. Frankly, I don't know what's going on on our Linux machines here,
deep down there will be a call to getnameinfo I presume. I could not yet
figure out what system calls are made in nslookup and the getByHostAddr
functions, and why they're different at all. Another strange thing is that
only the hostname of the executing node cannot be resolved, for the other
nodes it works: When executing
InetAddress.getByName("123.123.123.123").getCanonicalHostName() on the
machine with IP 123.123.123.123, the canocical hostname turns out to be that
exact IP. When executing the exact same code (with the same IP literal) on
machine 123.123.123.124, the FQDN is returned properly. If I dig something
up about a faulty DNS configuration on my side, I'll let you know.

And yes you're right, actually the lookup is not performed too often during
startup, so that might be a way to go. I'm a little more worried about
communication in general, as I'm not sure whether/how often names need to be
resolved when executing a job.

Thanks
Robert