Hi Robert,

thanks for your reply. It got me digging into my setup and I discovered
that one TM was scheduled next to the JM. When specifying -yn 7 the
documentation suggests that this is the number of TMs (of which I wanted
7), and I thought an additional container would be used for the JM (my YARN
cluster has 8 containers). Anyway with this setup the memory added up to
56G and 1M (40G per TM and 16G 1M for the JM), but I set a hard maximum of
56G in my yarn-site.xml which is why the request could not be fulfilled. It
is interesting to note that when I set
both yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb
and yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-mb to 56G I get a proper error when
requesting 56G and 1M, but when setting yarn.nodemanager.resource.memory-mb
to 56G and yarn.scheduler.maximum-allocation-mb to 54G I don't get an error
but the aforementioned endless loop. Note I
have yarn.nodemanager.vmem-check-enabled set to false. This is probably a
YARN issue then / my bad configuration.

I'm in a rush now (to get to the Flink meetup) and thus will check the
documentation later to see how to deploy the TMs and JM on separate
machines each, since that is not what's happening at the moment, but this
is what I'd like to have. Thanks again and see you in an hour.

Cheers
Robert

--
My GPG Key ID: 336E2680