Broadcast is what we do for the same type of your initial problem indeed.

In another thread, Stephan mentioned a possibility of using OperatorState
in ConnectedStream. I think this approach using OperatorState does the
business as well.

In my understanding, the approach using broadcast will require you to
checkpoint somewhere upstream. I'm not sure if OperatorState on
ConnectedStream will be a solution on this though.