I've checked the compiled classes with javap -verbose and indeed they had a
major.verion=51 (java 7).
So I've changed the source and target to 1.8 in the main pom.xm and now the
generated .class have major.verion=52.
Unfortunately now I get this error:

[ERROR]
/opt/flink-src/flink-java/src/main/java/org/apache/flink/api/java/typeutils/runtime/TupleSerializer.java:[104,63]
incompatible types: void cannot be converted to java.lang.Object

How can I fix it? I also tried to upgrade the maven compiler to 3.5 but it
didn't help :(

Best,
Flavio