I recently did exactly what Robert described: I copied the code from this
(closed) PR https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/1479, modified it a bit,
and just included it in my own project that uses the Elasticsearch 2 java
api. Seems to work well. Here are the files so you can do the same:

https://gist.github.com/zcox/59e486be7aeeca381be0

-Zach