Hi,

I am a newbie to Flink and trying to use it in AWS.
I have created a YARN cluster on AWS EC2 machines.
Trying to submit Flink job to the remote YARN cluster using the Flink Client
running on my local machine.

The Jobmanager start successfully on the YARN container but the client is not
able to connect to the Jobmanager.

Flink Client Logs -

13:57:34,877 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.FlinkYarnClient
 - Deploying cluster, current state ACCEPTED
13:57:35,951 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.FlinkYarnClient
 - Deploying cluster, current state ACCEPTED
13:57:37,027 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.FlinkYarnClient
 - YARN application has been deployed successfully.
13:57:37,100 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.FlinkYarnCluster
 - Start actor system.
13:57:37,532 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.FlinkYarnCluster
 - Start application client.
YARN cluster started
JobManager web interface address
http://ec2-XX-XX-XX-XX.compute-1.amazonaws.com:8088/proxy/application_1456184947990_0003/
Waiting until all TaskManagers have connected
13:57:37,540 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.ApplicationClient
 - Notification about new leader address
akka.tcp://flink@54.35.41.12<mailto://flink@54.35.41.12>:41292/user/jobmanager
with session ID null.
No status updates from the YARN cluster received so far. Waiting ...
13:57:37,543 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.ApplicationClient
 - Received address of new leader
akka.tcp://flink@54.35.41.12<mailto://flink@54.35.41.12>:41292/user/jobmanager
with session ID null.
13:57:37,543 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.ApplicationClient
 - Disconnect from JobManager null.
13:57:37,545 INFO  org.apache.flink.yarn.ApplicationClient
 - Trying to register at JobManager
akka.tcp://flink@54.35.41.12<mailto://flink@54.35.41.12>:41292/user/jobmanager.
No status updates from the YARN cluster received so far. Waiting ...

The logs of the Jobmanager contains the following -

21:57:39,142 ERROR akka.remote.EndpointWriter
 - dropping message [class akka.actor.ActorSelectionMessage] for non-local
recipient [Actor[akka.tcp://flink@54.35.41.12:41292/]] arriving at
[akka.tcp://flink@54.35.41.12:41292] inbound addresses are
[akka.tcp://flink@172.31.23.18<mailto://flink@172.31.23.18>:41292]
21:57:40,782 INFO  org.apache.flink.runtime.instance.InstanceManager
 - Registered TaskManager at ec2-54-35-41-12
(akka.tcp://flink@172.31.23.18<mailto://flink@172.31.23.18>:60565/user/taskmanager)
 as 72101dd2ee94caa7a5ec5a75488359aa. Current number of registered hosts is 1.
Current number of alive task slots is 1.
21:57:41,162 ERROR akka.remote.EndpointWriter
 - dropping message [class akka.actor.ActorSelectionMessage] for non-local
recipient [Actor[akka.tcp://flink@54.35.41.12:41292/]] arriving at
[akka.tcp://flink@54.35.41.12:41292] inbound addresses are
[akka.tcp://flink@172.31.23.18<mailto://flink@172.31.23.18>:41292]

It seems the problem is in the mismatch of the Jobmanager Akka actors system
running address and the one user by the Client.
172.31.23.18 – is the internal private IP of the EC2 machine where the
Jobmanager container is running.
54.35.41.12 – is the external IP of the EC2 machine, used by Flink client to
submit the Job.
Because of this mismatch the messages are ignored by the Akka actor System.

Can someone please help me with this issue.
I can share the detailed logs, if required.

Thanks,
Abhi