Hi,
Another interesting test would be a combination of 3) and 2). I.e. no JSON
parsing and no sink. This would show what the raw throughput can be before
being slowed down by writing to Elasticsearch.

Also .print() is also not feasible for production since it just prints every
element to the stdout log on the TaskManagers, which itself can cause quite a
slowdown. You could try:

datastream.addSink(new DiscardingSink())

which is a dummy sink that does nothing.

Cheers,
Aljoscha