Hi Lydia,

an iteration aggregator combines all aggregates globally once per superstep
and makes them available in the *next* superstep.
Within each scatter-gather iteration, one MessagingFunction (scatter phase)
and one VertexUpdateFunction (gather phase) are executed. Thus, if you set
an aggregate value within one of those, the value will be available in the
next superstep. You can retrieve it calling
the getPreviousIterationAggregate() method.
Let me know if that clears things up!

-Vasia.