In one of the earlier thread Till explained this to me (
http://apache-flink-user-mailing-list-archive.2336050.n4.nabble.com/CEP-and-Within-Clause-td8159.html
)

1. Within does not use time windows. It sort of uses session windows where
the session begins when the first event of the pattern is identified. The
timer starts when the "first" event in the pattern fires. If the pattern
completes "within" the designated times (meaning the "next" and "followed
by" fire as will "within" the time specified) you have a match or else the
window is removed. I don't know how it is implemented but I doubt it stores
all the events in memory for the "within" window (there is not need to). It
will only store the relevant events (first, next, followed by, etc). So
memory would not be an issue here. If two "first" type events are
identified I think two "within" sessions are created.

2. Snapshotting (I don't know much in this area so I cannot answer). Why
should it be different though? You are using operators and state. It should
work the same way. But I am not too familiar with that.

3. The "Within" window is not an issue. Even the window preceding that
should not be unless you are using WindowFunction (more memory friendly
alternative is https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-
master/apis/streaming/windows.html#window-functions ) by themselves and
using a really large window

4. The way I am using it, it is working fine. Some of the limitations I
have seen are related to this paper not being fully implemented (
https://people.cs.umass.edu/~yanlei/publications/sase-sigmod08.pdf). I
don't know how to support negation in an event stream but I don't need it
for now.

Thanks,
Sameer