Exactly as Ufuk suggested, if you are not grouping your stream by key,
you should use the checkpointed interface.

The reason I asked before if you are using the keyBy() is because this is the
one that
implicitly sets the keySerializer and scopes your (keyed) state to a specific
key.

If there is no keying, then keyed state cannot be used and the Checkpointed
interface
should be used instead.

Let us know if you need anything else.

Kostas