The stop script relies on a file in the /tmp directory (location can
be changed by setting env.pid.dir in the Flink config). If that file
somehow gets cleanup up occasionally, the stop script can't find the
process identifiers inside that file to kill the processes.

Another explanation could be that you're running the stop script from
a different user. The file contains the user name of the user who
started the cluster and the stop script looks for the same name again.

-Max