Your functions do not need to implement RichFunction (although, each
function can be a RichFunction and it should not be a problem to adapt the
job).
The system metrics are automatically collected. Metrics are exposed via a
Reporter [1].
So you do not need to take care of the collection but rather specify where
the collected metrics should be reported to.

Best, Fabian

[1]
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.1/apis/metrics.html#reporter