Hi,
I was experimenting with using RocksDb as the state backend for my job and to
test its behavior I modified the socket word count program to store states. I
also wrote a RichMapFunction which stores the states as a ValueState with
default value as null.
What the job does basically is, for every word received if the current state is
null then it updates the state with a fixed value say “abc” and in case the
state is nonNull then it is cleared.
So ideally if my input stream has the word “foo” twice then the corresponding
state is first set to “abc” and then cleared at the second “foo”. I see that
this behavior is occurring as expected but the checkpointed size keeps
increasing! Is this expected? I believe the checkpointed size as shown on the
dashboard should decrease when some of the states are cleared right?
In this case if each of the “foo” word come in successive checkpointing
intervals then we should observe rise and one fall in the checkpointing size
right? I see the checkpointed size is increasing in both cases!!!

Any ideas as to what is happening here? My checkpoint duration is 5 secs.
Thanks.

Regards,
Anirudh