Hi,

I'm trying to calculate stateful counts per key with checkpoints following the
example in
https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.1/apis/streaming/state.html#checkpointing-instance-fields.
 I would expect my test program to calculate the counts per key, but it seems
to group the data by task rather than by key. Is this a Flink bug or have I
misunderstood something?

The output of inputData.keyBy(0).flatMap(new TestCounters).print is

1> (A,count=1)
1> (F,count=2)
2> (B,count=1)
2> (C,count=2)
2> (D,count=3)
2> (E,count=4)
2> (E,count=5)
2> (E,count=6)
2> (H,count=7)
4> (G,count=1)

while the output of inputData.keyBy(0).flatMapWithState(...).print is (as I
would expect)

2> (B,1)
4> (G,1)
1> (A,1)
2> (C,1)
1> (F,1)
2> (D,1)
2> (E,1)
2> (E,2)
2> (E,3)
2> (H,1)

I would expect both to give the same results.

The full code:

import org.apache.flink.api.common.functions.RichFlatMapFunction
import org.apache.flink.streaming.api.scala._
import org.apache.flink.configuration.Configuration
import org.apache.flink.streaming.api.checkpoint.Checkpointed
import org.apache.flink.util.Collector

object FlinkStreamingTest {

  def main(args: Array[String]) {

    val env = StreamExecutionEnvironment.createLocalEnvironment()

    val checkpointIntervalMillis = 10000
    env.enableCheckpointing(checkpointIntervalMillis)

    val inputData = env.fromElements(("A",0),("B",0),("C",0),("D",0),
      ("E",0),("E",0),("E",0),
      ("F",0),("G",0),("H",0))

    inputData.keyBy(0).flatMap(new TestCounters).print

    /*
    inputData.keyBy(0).flatMapWithState((keyAndCount: (String, Int), count:
Option[Int]) =>
      count match {
        case None => (Iterator((keyAndCount._1, 1)), Some(1))
        case Some(c) => (Iterator((keyAndCount._1, c+1)), Some(c+1))
      }).print
    */

    env.execute("Counters test")
  }
}

case class CounterClass(var count: Int)

class TestCounters extends RichFlatMapFunction[(String, Int), (String, String)]
with Checkpointed[CounterClass] {

  var counterValue: CounterClass = null

  override def flatMap(in: (String, Int), out: Collector[(String, String)]) = {
    counterValue.count = counterValue.count + 1
    out.collect((in._1,"count="+counterValue.count))
  }

  override def open(config: Configuration): Unit = {
    if(counterValue == null) {
      counterValue = new CounterClass(0)
    }
  }

  override def snapshotState(l: Long, l1: Long): CounterClass = {
    counterValue
  }

  override def restoreState(state: CounterClass): Unit = {
    counterValue = state
  }
}
Disclaimer: This message and any attachments thereto are intended solely for
the addressed recipient(s) and may contain confidential information. If you are
not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete
the e-mail (including any attachments thereto) without producing, distributing
or retaining any copies thereof. Any review, dissemination or other use of, or
taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities
other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. Thank you.