I read through the link you provided, Stephan. However, I am still confused. The instructions mention specific jar files for Logback, I am not sure which of the log4j 2.x jars I need to put in the the flink /lib directory. I tried various combinations of log4j-1.2-api-2.8.jar, log4j-slf4j-impl-2.8.jar, log4j-to-slf4j-2.8.jar, and renamed the stock log4j-1.2.17.jar and slf4j-log4j12-1.7.7.jar, but then the job manager would not start, and threw a 'NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/logging/log4j/LogManager'. And this is without deploying my job out there, so I don't think any of the "Use Logback when running Flink out of the IDE / from a Java application" section instructions are relevant.

Can someone be more specific how to do this? If I get it to work, I'll be happy to formally document it in whatever format would help the project out long term.

Thanks!