Flink's state backends currently do a good number of "make sure this
exists" operations on the file systems. Through Hadoop's S3 filesystem,
that translates to S3 bucket list operations, where there is a limit in how
many operation may happen per time interval. After that, S3 blocks.

It seems that operations that are totally cheap on HDFS are hellishly
expensive (and limited) on S3. It may be that you are affected by that.

We are gradually trying to improve the behavior there and be more S3 aware.

Both 1.3-SNAPSHOT and 1.2-SNAPSHOT already contain improvements there.

Best,
Stephan