I am using a simple streaming job where I use keyBy on the stream to process
events per key. The keys may vary in number (few keys to thousands). I have
noticed a behavior of Flink and I need clarification on that. When we use
keyBy on the stream, flink assigns keys to parallel operators so each
operator can handle events per key independently. Once a key is assigned to
an operator, can the key change the operator on which it is assigned? From
what I`ve seen the answer is no.

For example, let`s assume that keys 1 and 2 are assigned to operator A and
keys 3 and 4 are assigned to operator B. If there is a burst of data for key
1 at some later time point, but keys 2,3 and 4 have only few data will key 2
be assigned to operator B to balance the load? If not is there a way to do
that? And again if not, why flink does not do that?