Hi,

Thanks for the clarification.

What are the reasons behind consuming/producing messages from/to Kafka while
the window has not expired yet?
First, some remarks here -  sources (in your case the Kafka consumer) will not
stop fetching / producing data when the windows haven’t fired yet. Does this
explain what you have plotted in the diagram you attached (sorry, I can’t
really reason about the diagram because I’m not so sure what the values of the
x-y axes represent)?

If you’re writing the outputs of the window operation to Kafka (by adding a
Kafka sink after the windowing), then yes it should only write to Kafka when
the window has fired. The characteristics will also differ for different types
of windows, so you should definitely take a look at the Windowing docs [1]
about them.

Cheers,
Gordon

[1]