No, there should be no difference between setting it up on Ubuntu or OS X.

I can’t really tell any anything suspicious from the information provided so
far, unfortunately.
Perhaps you can try first checking that the Kafka topic is consumable from
where you’re running Flink, e.g. using the example console consumer / producers?