Hi Niels,

which version of Flink are you using? Currently, Flink does not support to
upgrade the TypeSerializer itself, if I'm not mistaken. As you've
described, it will try to use the old serializer stored in the checkpoint
stream to restore state.

I've pulled Gordon into the conversation who can tell you a little bit more
about the current capability and limitations of state evolution.

Cheers,
Till