Hello!

I have a question regarding checkpointing parameter minPauseBetweenCheckpoints
that is the minimal pause between checkpointing attempts.
I’ve noticed the following (strange) behavior in Flink.

I set the following parameters for a sample Flink job:

Checkpointing Mode = Exactly Once
Interval = 10s
Timeout = 30s
Minimum Pause Between Checkpoints = 15s
Maximum Concurrent Checkpoints = 1
Persist Checkpoints Externally = Disabled

Then I started the job that intentionally makes some of the checkpoints fail by
timeout.
I noticed that this parameter minPauseBetweenCheckpoints is taken into
consideration by Flink only when checkpoint doesn’t fail by timeout:

My first checkpoint triggered at 18:03:11 and failed within expected 30
seconds. But immediately after that, a new checkpoint was triggered at
18:03:41. It doesn’t make sense to me since I’m using a
minPauseBetweenCheckpoints = 15 seconds. I would expect Flink to wait for 15
seconds before starting a new checkpoint.

However, it seems like this minPauseBetweenCheckpoints works as expected for
checkpoints that completed successfully within configured interval. For
example, my 4th checkpoint started at 18:04:41 and completed at 18:04:56. And
the next checkpoint waited another 15 seconds to start at 18:05:11.

Please see attached screenshots for configuration and checkpoint history.

My question is – is it an expected behavior or a bug? Is there a way to have a
pause between checkpoints even if checkpoint fails by timeout?

Thank you!

--
Kind regards,
Dmitry Minaev

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain
confidential information of Five9 and/or its affiliated entities. Access by the
intended recipient only is authorized. Any liability arising from any party
acting, or refraining from acting, on any information contained in this e-mail
is hereby excluded. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the
sender immediately, destroy the original transmission and its attachments and
do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or
store or copy the information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and any
attachments belongs to Five9 and/or its affiliated entities.