Alas, this suffer from the bootstrap problem.  At the moment Flink does not
allow you to pause a source (the positions), so you can't fully consume the
and preload the accounts or products to perform the join before the
positions start flowing.  Additionally, Flink SQL does not support
materializing an upset table for the accounts or products to perform the
join, so yo have to develop your own KeyedProcessFunction, maintain the
state, and perform the join on your own if you only want to join against
the latest value for each key.

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 7:27 AM Till Rohrmann <trohrm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Yes, using Kafka which you initialize with the initial values and then
> feed changes to the Kafka topic from which you consume could be a solution.
>
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 3:58 PM Harshvardhan Agrawal <
> harshvardhan.ag...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Till,
>>
>> How would we do the initial hydration of the Product and Account data
>> since it’s currently in a relational DB? Do we have to copy over data to
>> Kafka and then use them?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Harsh
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 09:22 Till Rohrmann <trohrm...@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Harshvardhan,
>>>
>>> I agree with Ankit that this problem could actually be solved quite
>>> elegantly with Flink's state. If you can ingest the product/account
>>> information changes as a stream, you can keep the latest version of it in
>>> Flink state by using a co-map function [1, 2]. One input of the co-map
>>> function would be the product/account update stream which updates the
>>> respective entries in Flink's state and the other input stream is the one
>>> to be enriched. When receiving input from this stream one would lookup the
>>> latest information contained in the operator's state and join it with the
>>> incoming event.
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/dev/stream/operators/
>>> [2]