Hi Vino,

Unfortunately, I'm still stuck here. By moving the avro dependency chain to
lib (and removing it from user jar), my OCFs decode but I get the error
described here:

https://github.com/confluentinc/schema-registry/pull/509

However, the Flink fix described in the PR above was to move the Avro
dependency to the user jar. However, since I'm using YARN, I'm required to
have flink-shaded-hadoop2-uber.jar loaded from lib -- and that has
avro bundled un-shaded. So I'm back to the start problem...

Any advice is welcome!

-Cliff

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 1:42 PM Cliff Resnick <cre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Vino,
>
> You were right in your assumption -- unshaded avro was being added to our
> application jar via third-party dependency. Excluding it in packaging fixed
> the issue. For the record, it looks flink-avro must be loaded from the lib
> or there will be errors in checkpoint restores.
>
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 8:43 AM Cliff Resnick <cre...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Vino,
>>
>> Thanks for the explanation, but the job only ever uses the Avro (1.8.2)
>> pulled in by flink-formats/avro, so it's not a class version conflict
>> there.
>>
>> I'm using default child-first loading. It might be a further transitive
>> dependency, though it's not clear by stack trace or stepping through the
>> process. When I get a chance I'll look further into it but in case anyone
>> is experiencing similar problems, what is clear is that classloader order
>> does matter with Avro.
>>
>> On Sun, Aug 19, 2018, 11:36 PM vino yang <yanghua1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Cliff,
>>>
>>> My personal guess is that this may be caused by Job's Avro conflict with
>>> the Avro that the Flink framework itself relies on.
>>> Flink has provided some configuration parameters which allows you to
>>> determine the order of the classloaders yourself. [1]
>>> Alternatively, you can debug classloading and participate in the
>>> documentation.[2]
>>>
>>> [1]:
>>> https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.6/ops/config.html
>>> [2]: