Hi Henry,

Flink is an open source project. New build-in functions are constantly
contributed to Flink. Right now, there are more than 5 PRs open to add or
improve various functions.

If you find that some functions are not working correctly or could be
improved, you can open a Jira issue. The same applies to missing functions.
Before opening an issue, it would be good to check if there's another issue
for the same problem.
After opening a Jira issue, you can either wait for somebody to pick it up
or contribute the function yourself.
The scalar function umbrella Jira issue [1] explains what needs to be done
to add a function.

Contributing scalar functions is a good way to get involved with the Flink
development.

Best, Fabian