Paul,

Theoretically, processing-time timers will get the job done, but yes, you'd
need a timer per key -- and folks who've tried this with millions of keys,
all firing at the same time, have reported that this behaves badly. For
some use cases it's workable to spread out the timers over an interval,
like an hour or two, to avoid this timer firing storm, but that doesn't
sound like it would work well for you.

You might instead try using broadcast state to deal with this. You would
establish a broadcast stream connected to your keyed stream that acts as a
control stream for the keyed state. Then in the processBroadcastElement
method of a KeyedBroadcastProcessFunction you would use applyToKeyedState
to iterate over all the keyed state and clear everything. Unfortunately
it's not possible to use timers on broadcast state, so you'll have to find
some other way to trigger the event on the broadcast stream -- maybe a
custom source that uses a ProcessingTimeCallback to create events on the
broadcast stream.

David

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 7:18 AM Paul Lam <paullin3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi vino,
>
> Thanks for the advice, but I think state TTL does not completely fit in
my case.

> AFAIK, State TTL is per entry level and uses an inactive time threshold
to expire entries, but I need a TTL for the whole MapState, which does not
depend on when the entries are created or updated. Suppose I’m calculating
stats of daily active users and use a userId field as key, I want the state
totally truncated at the very beginning of each day.

https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-release-1.6/dev/stream/state/state.html#state-time-to-live-ttl

> Paul Lam <paullin3...@gmail.com> 于2018年9月12日周三 下午6:06写道:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m using MapState to deduplicate some ids and the MapState needs to be
truncated periodically. I tried to use ProcessingTimeCallback to call
state.clear(), but in this way I can only clear the state for one key, and
actually I need a key group level cleanup. So I’m wondering is there any
best practice for my case? Thanks a lot!

--
David Anderson | Training Coordinator | data Artisans