Hi Fabian/Vno,

Thank you very much for your encouragement inquiry. Sorry that I didn't see
Fabian's email until I read Vino's response just now. (Somehow Fabian's went to
the spam folder.)

My proposal contains long-term and short-terms goals. Nevertheless, the effort
will focus on the following areas, including Fabian's list:

1. Hive metastore connectivity - This covers both read/write access, which
means Flink can make full use of Hive's metastore as its catalog (at least for
the batch but can extend for streaming as well).
2. Metadata compatibility - Objects (databases, tables, partitions, etc)
created by Hive can be understood by Flink and the reverse direction is true
also.
3. Data compatibility - Similar to #2, data produced by Hive can be consumed by
Flink and vise versa.
4. Support Hive UDFs - For all Hive's native udfs, Flink either provides its
own implementation or make Hive's implementation work in Flink. Further, for
user created UDFs in Hive, Flink SQL should provide a mechanism allowing user
to import them into Flink without any code change required.
5. Data types -  Flink SQL should support all data types that are available in
Hive.
6. SQL Language - Flink SQL should support SQL standard (such as SQL2003) with
extension to support Hive's syntax and language features, around DDL, DML, and
SELECT queries.
7.  SQL CLI - this is currently developing in Flink but more effort is needed.
8. Server - provide a server that's compatible with Hive's HiverServer2 in
thrift APIs, such that HiveServer2 users can reuse their existing client (such
as beeline) but connect to Flink's thrift server instead.
9. JDBC/ODBC drivers - Flink may provide its own JDBC/ODBC drivers for other
application to use to connect to its thrift server
10. Support other user's customizations in Hive, such as Hive Serdes, storage
handlers, etc.
11. Better task failure tolerance and task scheduling at Flink runtime.

As you can see, achieving all those requires significant effort and across all
layers in Flink. However, a short-term goal could  include only core areas
(such as 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7) or start  at a smaller scope (such as #3, #6).

Please share your further thoughts. If we generally agree that this is the
right direction, I could come up with a formal proposal quickly and then we can
follow up with broader discussions.

Thanks,
Xuefu