Hi,
I am new to Flink.
Was looking into the code to understand how Flink does FullSnapshot and
Incremental Snapshot using RocksDB

What I understood:
1. *For full snapshot, we call RocksDb snapshot api* which basically an
iterator handle to the entries in RocksDB instance. We iterate over every
entry one by one and serialize that to some distributed file system.
Similarly in restore for fullSnapshot, we read the file to get every entry
and apply that to the rocksDb instance one by one to fully construct the db
instance.

2. On the other hand in *for Incremental Snapshot, we rely on RocksDB
Checkpoint api* to copy the sst files to HDFS/S3 incrementally.
Similarly on restore, we copy the sst files to local directory and
instantiate rocksDB instance with the path of the directory.

*My Question is:*
1. Why did we took 2 different approaches using different RocksDB apis ?
We could have used Checkpoint api of RocksDB for fullSnapshot as well .
2. Is there any specific reason to use *Snapshot API of rocksDB*  over
*Checkpoint
api of RocksDB* for *fullSnapshot*?

I am sure, I am missing some important point, really curious to know that.
Any explanation will be really great. Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Chandan

--
Chandan Prakash