Hi Hao,

if Flink tries to recover from a checkpoint, then the JobGraph should not
be modified and the system should be able to restore the state.

Have you changed the JobGraph and are you now trying to recover from the
latest checkpoint which is stored in ZooKeeper? If so, then you can also
start the job cluster with a different cluster id and manually pass the
path to the latest checkpoint as the savepoint path to resume from. By
specifying a new cluster id, the system will create a new ZNode in
ZooKeeper and don't use the checkpoints from the previous run.

If you did not change the JobGraph, then this sounds like a bug. For
further investigation the debug log files would be helpful.

Cheers,
Till

On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 7:18 PM Hao Sun <ha...@zendesk.com> wrote:

> Till, Flink is automatically trying to recover from a checkpoint not
> savepoint. How can I get allowNonRestoredState applied in this case?
>
> Hao Sun
> Team Lead
> 1019 Market St. 7F
> San Francisco, CA 94103
>

> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 10:09 AM Till Rohrmann <trohrm...@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hao,
>>
>> I think you need to provide a savepoint file via --fromSavepoint to
>> resume from in order to specify --allowNonRestoredState. Otherwise this
>> option will be ignored because it only works if you resume from a savepoint.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Till
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 5, 2018 at 12:29 AM Hao Sun <ha...@zendesk.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am using 1.7 and job cluster on k8s.
>>>
>>> Here is how I start my job
>>> ====
>>> docker-entrypoint.sh job-cluster -j
>>> com.zendesk.fraud_prevention.examples.ConnectedStreams
>>> --allowNonRestoredState
>>> ====
>>>
>>> *Seems like --allowNonRestoredState is not honored*
>>>
>>> === Logs ===
>>> java","line":"1041","message":"Restoring job
>>> 00000000000000000000000000000000 from latest valid checkpoint: Checkpoint
>>> 8103 @ 0 for 00000000000000000000000000000000."}
>>> {"timestamp":"2018-12-04
>>> 23:19:39,859","level":"ERROR","thread":"flink-akka.actor.default-dispatcher-15","file":"ClusterEntrypoint.java","line":"390","message":"Fatal
>>> error occurred in the cluster entrypoint."}
>>> java.lang.RuntimeException:
>>> org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobExecutionException: Could not set up
>>> JobManager
>>> at
>>> org.apache.flink.util.function.CheckedSupplier.lambda$unchecked$0(CheckedSupplier.java:36)
>>> at
>>> java.util.concurrent.CompletableFuture$AsyncSupply.run(CompletableFuture.java:1590)
>>> at akka.dispatch.TaskInvocation.run(AbstractDispatcher.scala:40)
>>> at
>>> akka.dispatch.ForkJoinExecutorConfigurator$AkkaForkJoinTask.exec(ForkJoinExecutorConfigurator.scala:44)
>>> at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinTask.doExec(ForkJoinTask.java:260)
>>> at
>>> akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool$WorkQueue.runTask(ForkJoinPool.java:1339)
>>> at akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinPool.runWorker(ForkJoinPool.java:1979)
>>> at
>>> akka.dispatch.forkjoin.ForkJoinWorkerThread.run(ForkJoinWorkerThread.java:107)
>>> Caused by: org.apache.flink.runtime.client.JobExecutionException: Could
>>> not set up JobManager
>>> at org.apache.flink.runtime.jobmaster.JobManagerRunner.<init>(
>>> http://JobManagerRunner.java:176)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.flink.runtime.dispatcher.Dispatcher$DefaultJobManagerRunnerFactory.createJobManagerRunner(Dispatcher.java:1058)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.flink.runtime.dispatcher.Dispatcher.lambda$createJobManagerRunner$5(Dispatcher.java:308)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.flink.util.function.CheckedSupplier.lambda$unchecked$0(CheckedSupplier.java:34)
>>> ... 7 more
>>> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: There is no operator for the
>>> state 2f4bc854a18755730e14a90e1d4d7c7d
>>> at
>>> org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.StateAssignmentOperation.checkStateMappingCompleteness(StateAssignmentOperation.java:569)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.StateAssignmentOperation.assignStates(StateAssignmentOperation.java:77)
>>> at
>>> org.apache.flink.runtime.checkpoint.CheckpointCoordinator.restoreLatestCheckpointedState(CheckpointCoordinator.java:1049)
>>> at