Hi Edward,

Sorry for coming back so late (because of holiday season).

You are unfortunately right. Our FlinkKafkaProducer should have been
upgrade-able, but it is not. I have created a bug for this [1]. For the time
being, until we fix the issue, you should be able to stick to 0.11 producer
without noticeable negative effects. Our FlinkKafkaProducer011 has the same
forward & backward compatibility as the universal FlinkKakfaProducer (The
biggest change between two of them was just changing the naming convention), so
you can use either of them with the same versions of Kafka brokers (0.10+).

Piotrek