One thing you must be careful of, is that if you are using event time
processing, assuming that the control stream will only receive messages
sporadically, is that event time will stop moving forward in the operator
joining the streams while the control stream is idle.  You can get around
this by using a periodic watermark extractor one the control stream that
bounds the event time delay to processing time or by defining your own low
level operator that ignores watermarks from the control stream.