Hello Jamie.

Thanks for taking a look at this. So, yes, I want to write only the last
data for each key every X minutes. In other words, I want a snapshot of the
whole database every X minutes.

>  The issue is that the window never get's PURGED so the data just
> continues to accumulate in the window.  This will grow without bound.

The window not being purged does not necessarily mean that the data will be
accumulated indefinitely. How so? Well, Flink has two mechanisms to remove
data from a window: triggering a FIRE/FIRE_AND_PURGE or using an evictor.

The reduce function has an implicit evictor that automatically removes
events from the window pane that are no longer needed. i.e. it keeps in
state only the element that was reduced. Here is an example:

    env.socketTextStream("localhost", 9999)
      .keyBy { it.first().toString() }
      .window(GlobalWindows.create())

.trigger(ContinuousProcessingTimeTrigger.of(WindowTime.seconds(seconds)))
      .reduce { left, right ->
        println("left: $left, right: $right")
        if (left.length > right.length) {
          left
        } else {
          right
        }
      }
      .printToErr()

For your claim to hold true, every time the trigger fires one would expect
to see ALL the elements by a key being printed over and over again in the
reduce function. However, if you run a job similar to this one in your lang
of choice, you will notice that the print statement is effectively called
only once per event per key.

In fact, not using purge is intentional. Because I want to hold every record
(the last one by its primary key) of the database in state so that I can
write a snapshot of the whole database.

So for instance, let's say my table has two columns: id and time. And I have
the following events:

1,January
2,February
1,March

I want to write to S3 two records: "1,March", and "2,February".

Now, let's say two more events come into the stream:

3,April
1,June

Then I want to write to S3 three records: "1,June", "2,February" and
"3,April".

In other words, I can't just purge the windows, because I would lose the
record with id 2.