I am working on an application based on Apache Flink, which makes use of Apache
Kafka for input and out.
I have the requirement that all incoming messages received via kafka must be
processed in-order, as well safely be stored in a persistence layer (database),
and no message must get lost.

The streaming-part in this application is rather trivial/small, as the main
logic will boil down to something like:

environment.addSource(consumer)  // 1) DataStream[Option[Elem]]
  .filter(_.isDefined)                            // 2) discard unparsable
messages
  .map(_.get)                                     // 3) unwrap Option
  .map(InputEvent.fromXml(_))         // 4) convert from XML to internal
representation
  .keyBy(_.id)                                    // 5) assure in-order
processing on logical-key level
  .map(new DBFunction)                  // 6) database lookup, store of update
and additional enrichment
  .map(InputEvent.toXml(_))            // 7) convert back to XML
  .addSink(producer)                        // 8) attach kafka producer sink

Now, during this pipeline, several error situations could occur:

- the database becomes unavailable (shutdown, tablespace full, ...)
- changes cannot be stored because of logical errors (from column format)
- the kafka producer cannot send a message because of broker inavailability

and probably other situations.

Now my question is, how can I assure consistency as per the above in those
situations, when I in fact would have to do something like:

a) Stream-Operator 6) detects a problem (DB unavailable)
b) The DB-connection of the DBFunction object must be recovered, which might
only succeed after some minutes
c) This means that overall processing must be suspended, at best for the whole
pipeline, so that incoming messages are lot loaded into memory
d) Resume processing after database has been recovered. Processing must resume
exactly with the message which encountered the problem at 1)
Now I know that there is at least 2 tools regarding failure handling:

kafka consumer offsets
apache flink checkpoints
However, searching the docs, I fail to see how either of those could be used in
the middle of stream processing from within a single operator.

So, what would be the recommended strategies for fine-grained error handling
and recovery in a streaming application?

--

Patrick Fial

Client Platform Entwickler

Information Design One AG

Phone +49 69 244 502 38

Web www.id1.de <http://www.id1.de/>

Information Design One AG, Baseler Straße 10, 60329 Frankfurt am Main

Registereintrag: Amtsgericht Frankfurt am Main, HRB 52596

Vorstand: Robert Peters, Benjamin Walther, Aufsichtsrat: Christian Hecht
(Vorsitz)