My 2c:

Timestamp stored with the state value: Event timestamp
Timestamp used to check expiration: Last emitted watermark

That follows the event time processing model used elsewhere is Flink.  E.g.
events are segregated into windows based on their event time, but the
windows do not fire until the watermark advances past the end of the window.