Hi Steve,

(1)

    The CLI action you are looking for is called "modify" [1]. However, we
want
    to temporarily disable this feature beginning from Flink 1.9 due to some
    caveats with it [2]. If you have objections, it would be appreciated if
you
    could comment on the respective thread on the user/dev mailing list.

(2)

    There is currently no option to have the CLI output JSON. However, as
others
    have pointed out, you can use the REST API to invoke actions on the
cluster,
    such as drawing savepoints [3]. This is also what the CLI ultimately
does
    [4].

Best,
Gary