The _metadata is always stored in the same directory as the checkpoint data.

As outlined here <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/state/checkpoints.html#directory-structure> "state.checkpoints.dir" serves as a cluster-wide configuration that _can_ be overwritten with a job-specific setting when creating the state-backend.

If you want the state-backend to use the configured directory you must configure the state-backend in the configuration as well, as outlined here <https://ci.apache.org/projects/flink/flink-docs-master/ops/state/state_backends.html#setting-default-state-backend>.