Ok I think I identified the issue:

1. I accidentally bundled another version of slf4j in my job jar, which
results in some incompatibility with the slf4j jar bundled with flink/bin.
Apparently slf4j in this case defaults to something that ignores the conf?
Once I removed slf4j from my job jar, the logger properties were properly
consumed.
2. Looks like the line log4j.appender.file.file=${log.file} on the default
properties didn't work properly (resulting in log4j null errors), it
started working after I just set it manually to opt/flink/logs/output.log.

Thanks for your guidance!
Li

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:09 PM Li Peng <li.p...@doordash.com> wrote:

> [...]
> -Dqueryable-state.server.ports=6125
> [main] INFO org.apache.flink.runtime.entrypoint.ClusterEntrypoint -
> -Djobmanager.heap.size=3000m
> [main] INFO org.apache.flink.runtime.entrypoint.ClusterEntrypoint -
> -Dtaskmanager.heap.size=3000m
> [main] INFO org.apache.flink.runtime.entrypoint.ClusterEntrypoint -
> -Dmetrics.reporter.stsd.class=org.apache.flink.metrics.statsd.StatsDReporter
> [main] INFO org.apache.flink.runtime.entrypoint.ClusterEntrypoint -
> -Dmetrics.reporter.stsd.host=myhost.com
> [main] INFO org.apache.flink.runtime.entrypoint.ClusterEntrypoint -
> -Dmetrics.reporter.stsd.port=8125
> [main] INFO org.apache.flink.runtime.entrypoint.ClusterEntrypoint -
> -Dmetrics.system-resource=true
>
> Thanks,
> Li
>
> On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 4:40 AM ouywl <ou...@139.com> wrote:
>
>>  @Li Peng
>>    I found your problems.  Your start cmd use args “start-foreground”,
>> It will run “exec "${FLINK_BIN_DIR}"/flink-console.sh ${ENTRY_POINT_NAME}
>> "${ARGS[@]}””, and In ' flink-console.sh’, the code is “log_setting=(
>> "-Dlog4j.configuration=file:${FLINK_CONF_DIR}/log4j-console.properties"
>> "-Dlogback.configurationFile=file:${FLINK_CONF_DIR}/logback-console.xml")”
>> . So the log4j.properties not work. It need log4j-console.properties and
>> logback-console.xml.
>>
>> ouywl
>> ou...@139.com
>>
>> <https://maas.mail.163.com/dashi-web-extend/html/proSignature.html?ftlId=1&name=ouywl&uid=ouywl%40139.com&iconUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fmail-online.nosdn.127.net%2Fsma8dc7719018ba2517da7111b3db5a170.jpg&items=%5B%22ouywl%40139.com%22%5D>
>> 签名由 网易邮箱大师 <https://mail.163.com/dashi/dlpro.html?from=mail81> 定制
>>
>> On 12/12/2019 15:35,ouywl<ou...@139.com> <ou...@139.com> wrote:
>>
>> HI yang,
>>    Could you give more info detail? log4j.properties content, and The k8s
>> yaml. Is use the dockerfile in flink-container? When I test it use the
>> default per-job yaml in flick-container? It is only show logs in docker
>> infos. And not logs in /opt/flink/log.
>>
>> ouywl
>> ou...@139.com
>>
>> <https://maas.mail.163.com/dashi-web-extend/html/proSignature.html?ftlId=1&name=ouywl&uid=ouywl%40139.com&iconUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fmail-online.nosdn.127.net%2Fsma8dc7719018ba2517da7111b3db5a170.jpg&items=%5B%22ouywl%40139.com%22%5D>
>> 签名由 网易邮箱大师 <https://mail.163.com/dashi/dlpro.html?from=mail81> 定制
>>
>> On 12/12/2019 13:47,Yang Wang<danrtsey...@gmail.com>
>> <danrtsey...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Peng,
>>
>> What i mean is to use `docker exec` into the running pod and `ps` to get
>> the real
>> command that is running for jobmanager.
>> Do you have checked the /opt/flink/conf/log4j.properties is right?
>>
>> I have tested standalone per-job on my kubernetes cluster, the logs show

>>> "start-foreground",
>>> "-Djobmanager.rpc.address={{ .Chart.Name }}-job-manager",