I would probably go with a separate process.

Downloading the file could work with Flink if it is already present in some supported filesystem. Decompressing the file is supported for selected formats (deflate, gzip, bz2, xz), but this seems to be an undocumented feature, so I'm not sure how usable it is in reality.