If your job crashes, Flink will automatically restart from the latest
checkpoint, without any manual intervention. JobManager HA is only needed
for automatic recovery after the failure of the Job Manager.

You only need externalized checkpoints and "-s :checkpointPath" if you want
to use checkpoints to manually restart a job after manually cancelling or
stopping it. Also, it's not necessary that you have read access to the
checkpoints, but the job manager and task managers must be able to read
(and write) them.

Regards,
David