Hello Edward,
please find my answers within your message below:

On Wed, Nov 4, 2020 at 1:35 PM Colletta, Edward <edward.colle...@fmr.com>
wrote:

> Using Flink 1.9.2 with FsStateBackend, Session cluster.
>

>    1. Does heap state get cleaned up when a job is cancelled?
>
> We have jobs that we run on a daily basis.  We start each morning and
> cancel each evening.  We noticed that the process size does not seem to
> shrink.  We are looking at the resident size of the process with ps and
> also the USED column for Heap on the taskmanager page of the flink
> dashboard.

There is no explicit cleanup happening on the Flink side. The heap should
be cleaned up when GC kicks in.

>    1. How can I examine the usage of Flink Managed Memory?
>
>  The configuration documentation seems to indicate this is used for batch
> jobs, and we are only using the Streaming API.   I reduced
> taskmanager.memory.fraction
> to 0.3, but I think this is still reserving too much memory to an area we
> will not be using.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to monitor the managed memory for
Flink 1.9.2 as is. We're going to introduce new metrics for managed memory
[1], network memory [2] and metaspace [3] in the upcoming release of Flink
1.12.0. This should make it easier to monitor these memory pools.

I hope that helps a bit.
Best,
Matthias