Thanks for reaching out. Semi-asynchronous does *not* refer to incremental
checkpoints and Savepoints are always triggered as full snapshots (not
incremental).

Earlier versions of the RocksDb state backend supported two snapshotting modes,
fully and semi-asynchronous snapshots. Semi-asynchronous state snapshots for
RocksDb have been removed a long time ago by Aljoscha in
https://github.com/apache/flink/pull/2345 (FLINK-4340). The notes you are
referencing were added around that time and I'm afraid they might have become
mostly obsolete.

I'm pulling in Aljoscha who should be able to give a definitive answer here.

To make a long story short, it should simply work for you to upgrade from 1.11
to 1.12 via a Savepoint.

Cheers,

Ufuk