Hi Alexey,

I think the current idleness detection works based on timeouts. You need a
special watermark generator that periodically emits the watermarks. If no
event has been emitted for so and so long, then it is marked as idle.

Yes, I was referring to FLINK-18450. At the moment nobody is actively
working on it, but it is on the roadmap for improvements for the new source
APIs (FLIP-27).

Cheers,
Till