Hi Peter,

as a temporary workaround I would simply implement a UDF like:

public class EverythingToString extends ScalarFunction {

   public String eval(@DataTypeHint(inputGroup = ANY) Object o) {
     return o.toString();
   }
}

For the Utf8 issue, you can instruct Avro to generate Java classes with String instead using the `avro.java.string` option.

The rework of the type system messed up the Avro support in Flink. This is a known issue that is tracked under

Regards,
Timo