From: Alexis Sarda-Espinosa <alexis.sarda-espin...@microfocus.com>
Sent: Mittwoch, 20. Oktober 2021 09:43
To: Parag Somani <somanipa...@gmail.com>; Caizhi Weng <tsreape...@gmail.com>
Cc: Flink ML <user@flink.apache.org>
Subject: RE: Troubleshooting checkpoint timeout

Currently the windows are 10 minutes in size with a 1-minute slide time. The
approximate 500 event/minute throughput is already rather high for my use case,
so I don’t expect it to be higher, but I would imagine that’s still pretty low.

I did have some issues with storage space, and I wouldn’t be surprised if there
is an IO bottleneck in my dev environment, but then my main question would be:
if IO is being throttled, could that result in the high “start delay” times I
observe? That seems to be the main slowdown, so I just want to be sure I’m
looking in the right direction.

I’d like to mention another thing about my pipeline’s structure in case it’s
relevant, although it may be completely unrelated. I said that I specify the
windowing properties once (windowedStream in my 1st e-mail) and use it twice,
but it’s actually used 3 times. In addition to the 2 ProcessWindowFunctions
that end in sinks, the stream is also joined with a side output:

openedEventsTimestamped = openedEvents
        .getSideOutput(…)
        .keyBy(keySelector)
        .assignTimestampsAndWatermarks(watermarkStrategy)

windowedStream
        .process(ProcessWindowFunction3())
        .keyBy(keySelector)

.connect(DataStreamUtils.reinterpretAsKeyedStream(openedEventsTimestamped,
keySelector))
        .process(...)

Could this lead to delays or alignment issues?

Regards,
Alexis.