Hi all, this would be awesome, I'm so tired of seeing Java 8 everywhere
(reminds me of Python 2.7).

We're currently building our code against Java 11 because that's the latest
version of Java available as a Flink Docker image, but it'd be great to use
newer versions. I think it would also help to clean up dependencies and
hopefully no longer have incompatibility issues.
For example, right now it's not possible to build Flink with Java 9+
because of a Maven dependency. Using JDK 8 or copying "tools.jar" to any
newer JDK version fixes it (see more:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/53707666/how-to-get-tools-jar-for-openjdk-11-on-windows
).

Official support for Java 17 would be great.

Greetings!