Hello Hans-Peter,

I’m a little confused which version of your code you are testing against:

  *   ProcessingTimeSessionWindows or EventTimeSessionWindows?
  *   did you keep the withIdleness() ??

As said before:

  *   for ProcessingTimeSessionWindows, watermarks play no role
  *   if you keep withIdleness(), then the respective sparse DataStream is
event-time-less most of the time, i.e. no triggers fire to close a session
window
  *   withIdleness() makes only sense if you merge/union/connect multiple
DataStream where at least one stream has their watermarks updated regularly
(i.e. it is not withIdleness())
     *   this is not your case, your DAG is linear, no union nor connects
  *   in event-time mode processing time plays no role, watermarks exclusively
take the role of the progress of model (event) time and hence the triggering of
windows
  *   in order to trigger a (session-)window at time A the window operator
needs to receive a watermark of at least time A
  *   next catch regards partitioning
     *   your first watermark strategy kafkaWmstrategy generates
per-Kafka-partition watermarks
     *   a keyBy() reshuffles these partitions onto the number of subtasks
according to the hash of the key
     *   this results in a per subtask calculation of the lowest watermark of
all Kafka partitions that happen to be processed by that subtask
     *   i.e. if a single Kafka partition makes no watermark progress the
subtask watermark makes no progress
     *   this surfaces in sparse data as in your case
  *   your second watermark strategy wmStrategy makes things worse because
     *   it discards the correct watermarks of the first watermark strategy
     *   and replaces it with something that is arbitrary (at this point it is
hard to guess the correct max lateness that is a mixture of the events from
multiple Kafka partitions)

Concusion:
The only way to make the event time session windows work for you in a timely
manner is to make sure watermarks on all involved partitions make progress,
i.e. new events arrive on all partitions in a regular manner.

Hope this helps

Thias