This sounds very useful!  Another potential use case:

- Consuming from multiple kafka clusters in different datacenters/regions.

I'm not sure if we would ultimately want to do this, but having it as an
option when you need events from multiple kafka clusters to get the full
history of changes (instead of relying on MirrorMaker) could be nice.